Thread: LGBT community in Bangalore celebrates India's first 'Coming Out' day - July 2

LGBT community in Bangalore celebrates India's first 'Coming Out' day - July 2

The event which is going take place today at Cubbon Park would see some of the LGBT community members tying their "masks" to the balloons and releasing them into the air ! Very symbolic indeed ! The article on this featured on the front page of today's Bangalore Times. For the complete article, visit the following link :

FULL ARTICLE

Member Size: S

Re: LGBT community in Bangalore celebrates India's first 'Coming Out' day - July 2

hmm i read about this in the newspaper today

wonder how it went

Re: LGBT community in Bangalore celebrates India's first 'Coming Out' day - July 2

The followup article on this came in Times City section of TOI today ! Page 1 and Page 3 of TOI, Bangalore today were noticeably pink !!! Seems like either the paper had turned suddenly very gay-friendly or there aren't other articles/new to make it to front page or some queer reporter has made into the paper

On a serious note, the article today was titled "Unmasked, free as birds" . The article could be read here :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/14626219.cms

They haven't mentioned much about the response that the event got and so I am a bit skeptical about it but some start is always good !

Besides this, the paper also featured an interesting article on gay clubs coming up in colleges ! We may have heard of companies having support groups but it is good to know that students in Bangalore are coming up with their own clubs in colleges too. This could really help people people open up(not coming out) to others at an earlier age. I wonder if your college is one of them , Wokay

The article on this could be read on the following link :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/14625902.cms

There is one more article named "Queer Campus shares experiences, crises" on Page 3 (Times City) of TOI, Bangalore which is more of a continuation of above article but I can't find the link for the same on Google. Interested people could visit the e-version of TOI, Bangalore to read it
    Last edited by Zubenelgenubi; 03-07-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Member Size: L

I have heard IIT Powai has a gay club.

Great work by the Bangalore Group indeed!

The TOI group has always been very gay friendly. The Bombay edition of the paper does carry quite a lot of articles on Gay events as well as article dealing with issues faced by the community.

It is also heartening to know that the gay clubs/groups in colleges and compuses are now happening more frequently. I remember Delhi University being one of the first in the country to have such a group and last year IIT Bombay also officially launched a club like that.

Back to topic, whoever thought of the symbolic letting go of the masks must be applauded. It is a brilliant idea and might motivate other's to join in, not just in symbolism but for real too.
    Mayan
    GIF Admin
    My Blog: Gay In Bombay

@Pashew
    Oh ! Does it ? Is it like an open club ? Do all heterosexual people also know about it or are identities of gay guys/gals safely guarded by those clubs ? The clubs mentioned in the above article are mostly secret/no-so-open clubs with little or no official/management backing. More of support groups for people to discuss their problems.They aren't much into activism and awareness.

My college too has a gender and sexuality sensitivity related team which consists of few faculty members. People with problems are advised to approach them so that they can discuss their problems. That team as of now mostly deals with one women's/ gender sensitivity issues (which too could be rare in our college) as I don't see many homosexual people coming forward to discuss their problems that too with heterosexual faculty members ! If I can discuss my normal problems with my gay friends, why would I go and talk to heterosexual members whom I don't know that well personally? (though they do assure secrecy!) and if I am not out to people, there is very little chance of me being bullied or harassed based on my sexuality ! So the LGBT wing is very dormant in my college.
    Last edited by Zubenelgenubi; 03-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Member Size: L

@6 ZUBEN The way I've heard is, the club does not reveal the identity of it's members, but then it regularly conducts it's meetings and counsellings. And more importantly, the club is recognised by the institution.

Okay, going slightly off-topic but not entirely so I'm posting this here.

This is the website of the LGBTQ support group of IITB. It is called Saathi and mentions "Your privacy is our utmost priority. You can be a part of Saathi under an alias too, without revealing your identity to anyone"

http://www.saathi-iitb.org/

This group is Not officially endorsed by IITB but has the support of the management.
    Mayan
    GIF Admin

Member Size: S

Quote Originally Posted by Zubenelgenubi View Post
    I wonder if your college is one of them , Wokay
    not that i am aware of
    even if it is there i would not know since i am not out to anyone from college..
    but now after reading that i am very very curious!

So wokay, did you find out if your college has a gay club?
    Mayan
    GIF Admin