Thread: Is Manmohan Singh a failure?

Member Size: M somethingsomething's Avatar

Is Manmohan Singh a failure?

Credited with successful economic reforms, can he now be termed the biggest failure as a PM?

Re: Is Manmohan Singh a failure?

no one likes politics?

i am not that intellectual i prefer light topics than heavy general awareness based discussions in which i suck

but there would be some at least who should/would be able to contribute over here ! be a little patient

Normally I try to reply to all posts but I'm just not much into politics!

I had great respect for the PM but lately his inaction/ineffectiveness has left me wondering how much harm he has done to the country. He is certainly no more high in my "like" list.

Biggest failure as PM? I don't remember Deve Gowda's performance but his sleeping images (literally!) are still embossed in my head!
    Mayan
    GIF Admin
    My Blog: Gay In Bombay

I'm also not intellectual man but you can post your views on this subject. I don't remember what deve gowda did. I feel the current government is the biggest failure and as head Manmohan singh is responsible for it.

Agree with you on this.

The problem is that Manmohan is not at all a politician. In politics, showing something is more important than actually doing something. If he had a trusted and politics-savvy person to guide him, he could have been a very great PM. Unfortunately for him all the other people who have that savy in his party are all interested in personal shows. Add to that the compulsions of coalition politics that has all but paralyzed the government. Coalition politics has what has caused the most harm to the country I feel.
    Mayan
    GIF Admin

The Washington Post agrees with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post
    India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh helped set his country on the path to modernity, prosperity and power, but critics say the shy, soft-spoken
    79-year-old is in danger of going down in history as a failure.

The architect of India’s economic reforms, Singh was a major force behind his country’s rapprochement with the United States and is a respected figure on the world stage. President Obama’s aides used to boast of his tremendous rapport and friendship with Singh.

But the image of the scrupulously honorable, humble and intellectual technocrat has slowly given way to a completely different one: a dithering, ineffectual bureaucrat presiding over a deeply corrupt government.
    The story of Singh’s dramatic fall from grace in his second term in office and the slow but steady tarnishing of his reputation has played out in parallel with his country’s decline on his watch. As India’s economy has slowed and as its reputation for rampant corruption has reasserted itself, the idea that the country was on an inexorable road to becoming a global power has increasingly come into question.
    The irony is that Singh’s greatest selling points — his incorruptibility and economic experience — are the mirror image of his government’s greatest failings.

Under Singh, economic reforms have stalled, growth has slowed sharply and the rupee has collapsed. But just as damaging to his reputation is the accusation that he looked the other way and remained silent as his cabinet colleagues filled their own pockets.
    Full Article is here: India’s ‘silent’ prime minister becomes a tragic figure
    Mayan
    GIF Admin