Thread: Apple announces iOS 6

Apple announces iOS 6

Saying Siri is good is an understatement (personal experience) so what would you think if I tell you they have gone and improved it further?

Yes Apple announced its new operating system iOS 6 at the WWDC (that's Apple Worldwide Developer Conference, the place where they announce big stuff).

One of the main enhancements is in Siri being able to do reservations for you (of course it will be a while before it can happen in India) and its integration with cars! You just put your iPhone in the dock on your car and you can start saying things to it and the car will do it (via SIRI of course). Apple has collaborated with most major car manufacturers for this. The only big exception is Ford and that is understandable as they have their very own system in collaboration with Microsoft so the Fords will integrate better with Win8 phones and devices I guess.

Coming back to Apple, another new feature is the Map App. Obviously apple is a bit late in the game here while Nokia has been providing free map service with all its GPS enabled phones but better later than never. We can safely assume this app will be way better and hotter than any other map app out there because, well, it is from Apple!

There are many more enhancements and new features that make iOS 6 very tempting. I was personally eyeing the Android based Samsung Galaxy S3 (Isn't Samsung giving Apple a run for its money?) but now I am rethinking.

Which one will it be for you? iOS or Android?

Member Size: S

Re: Apple announces iOS 6

Not sure whether 6 will run on my 3GS.

Unfortunately it won't

In fact it is disheartening to note that it will not be available even for iPhone 4!

But that is understandable considering that 4S has major hardware upgrades and Siri cannot work with any previous version of iPhone. From a business perspective, trying to make your future software platforms backward compatible for older hardware involves a lot of work. In the mobile arena, specially for high-end smartphones, it does not make much sense to maintain a lot of backward compatibility considering people change/upgrade their phones very often.
    Last edited by BigBoyMayan; 14-06-2012 at 10:13 AM.

I read in some internet reports that only some features of the new ios would be supported in 3Gs. I dont mind that so much, my phone getting old etc. My main complaints are 2-fold. With new OS or new versions of apps the phone becomes sluggish. That is first. Second is because the individual apps get updated to match new phones ansd their OS, we cant even use them. Because only the new version of the app will be available on the app store. Thats why I feel they shd maintain the old versions of the apps too wherever possible so that people with older devices can continue using them and not have to junk their phones.

Interesting article from CNET on exactly what we were discussing here.

iPhone 4 won't get the new turn-by-turn features in iOS 6, just like it didn't get Siri. But it's still for sale, and so is the iPhone 3GS. Is Apple committing the Android sin of fragmentation, and will users rebel?
    Read Full Article Here
    Mayan
    GIF Admin
    My Blog: Gay In Bombay

GSMarena.com has reported that IOS6 update would be made available for 3GS also!

Don't be disheartened. It may take some time but it'd be there for your phone as well.

Hey guys good news, will be getting my new ipad 3 tomorrow, I will be getting siri etc after all with ios 6 which i will wait to be released before jailbreaking. Hehehe

Do post your short-term review Neo. Did you compare it with the others available in the market before you took your decision?

With the New Galaxy Note being turned into a tab, do you think the days of iPad are now numbered just like the S3 overtook iPhone?
    Mayan
    GIF Admin
    My Blog: Gay In Bombay