Thread: What is the difference between Transgenders and Transsexuals?

What is the difference between Transgenders and Transsexuals?

I'm sure many guys out here probably may not be aware about what Transgenders and Transsexuals are.

Are you?
    Mayan
    GIF Admin
    My Blog: Gay In Bombay

Member Size: S

Re: What is the difference between Transgenders and Transsexuals?

Transgender is more so a Cross-Dresser or Transvestite, as in they desire or assume the opposite gender roles in life,
    The basic difference is that they do not feel the need to go through a SRS [Sexual Reassignment Surgery].
    Ex:- Drag Queens and Hijras [who have not gone through Nirvana]

Transsexual is a person who has transitioned to the other gender physically as well, through a SRS.

Although, this view is only in detail, generally these terms are interchangeably used, due to oblivious reasons.

I know Crossdressers also means Transvestite. I wasnt sure whether TG would include CDs/TVs.

TVs are males who dress up.
    Shemales are those who have taken Estrogen to get breasts.
    TGs are males devoid of male sexual apparatus and flat chested.
    Transexuals are males who have undergone SRS.

Is SRS and HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) the same?

As per one article which I had read, TG was an umbrella term under which all other categories like TS, TV, intersex, CD, etc were classified.

And I wonder if the term CDing exists only in bedroom and is limited to sex. There are some bisexuals who also crossdress just for the fun of it. If this is the case, I feel, CDs and TVs should be different. There would be a difference even if very subtle. I'd google it and check.
    Last edited by Zubenelgenubi; 16-06-2012 at 10:50 AM.

As I expected, there is a lot of confusion with reference to these terms. Both Sardine and Vivat are correct to a large extent.

Problem is that there is no fixed definition so while some people may define it in one way, others may not do so. For example, many people who cross-dress are considered to belong to the transgender category but the CDs themselves may not identify themselves as TGs.

Trangenderism is defined as a condition in which an individual does not identify with the gender he/she was born with. This base definition may exclude CDs who cross-dress just as a fetish and not because they they do not identify with their birth gender while there may be others who cross-dress because they are transgendered.

Please note that it could be a Male or a Female and that this condition has nothing to do with sexual orientation. In fact many TGs do not identify themselves as gay. We have Bobby Darling who was born a male but considers himself as a female. He is attracted towards males and so, as per him, he is straight (his real gender as per his own feelings being female). A TG can be gay, bisexual, lesbian or even asexual. It has everything to do with gender identity and nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Transsexual on the other hand is someone who has undergone SRS [Sexual Reassignment Surgery] to change their gender to align it with the one they identify with. Again, this may not be the case in all scenerio. A person who strongly identifies himself/herself as not belonging to the gender he/she was born with, without any ambiguity but has not undergone any medical procedure to change his/her gender may also be termed as Transsexual.

People whose gender is ambiguous based on their anatomy are considered as having Intersex condition. A vast majority of individuals with this condition identify themselves as either male or female and not as TGs. Only a few identify themselves as TGs.

Transvestites are people who cross-dress. These can be males (often called Drag Queens), Females (often called Drag Kings) and can be gay or bisexual or even heterosexual. However Transvestite is considered as a derogatory term and people who cross-dress generally identify themselves as cross-dressers.

For more details you can read the Wikipedia Entry for Trangender
    Mayan
    GIF Admin

Member Size: S

Mayan you put the same point in intertwined confusing ways...
    I see that Vivat has all his definitions based on physical appearances.

What I described was to get the basic difference to tell between the two, to simplify our understanding.

Quoting Mayan:
    "Transgenderism is defined ... exclude CDs who cross-dress for fetish.... there may be others who cross-dress because they are transgendered" - Confusing
    "Transsexual on the other hand is someone who has undergone SRS [Sexual Reassignment Surgery]" - Exactly my point

The word Transvestite [Trans = Change / Vest = Clothes] in lay man terms is "Cross Dresser", which by definitions above would fall under Transgender. This is strictly speaking of a person who desires being in it, excluding people who do it as a fetish [ which imbibes objects of desire, one being clothes, it could be just underwear or the whole dress]. To clarify this point further, fetish is not identity but behavior;

Its true about orientation being devoid of physical and mental identities.

[This is only my observation through reading and watching a lot of documentaries on this subject]
    I observe that its about the "Internal Freedom" one achieves being or behaving in these roles.
    There are effeminate men who are fine with their behavior, given a chance they may cross dress but they are happy with what they are.
    When Effeminacy is not enough for "some" men, they push limits to cross-dressing and with a few adjustments [HRT or silicone] may be fulfilling enough for them.
    For some the dress does not achieve the complete internal acceptance unless they cross physically to the other side[SRS] becoming Transsexuals.
    We see people in these various stages [and mix the orientations within], that each flavor is so differently named, hence the confusion.

P.S : Confusing Much :P
    An interesting article that shows as to how complicated that Human Sexual Behavior is, which read
    "Gay couple that turned Lesbians now marry after one gets Sex change"
    http://in.lifestyle.yahoo.com/gay-co...124522460.html
    Last edited by sardine; 16-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Oh yes Sardine, confusion on this subject is just the tip of the iceberg. The terms are used so fluidly that pinning them down to a specific tag or role will not be possible.

I wanted to add the points that have been missed. Specifically with reference to the differentiation between Gender Identities and Sexuality. Many people may not look at these terms from those aspects at all.

I agree with you 100% on the Internal Freedom part. It is what one feels and believes from within indeed. You have put it down very well.
    Mayan
    GIF Admin